Thursday, July 30, 2020

Reflections during a Run

Reflections during a Run


By Sean Claes



Last Saturday (7/25/2020) I woke up with a mission. In order to keep with my weekly goal (25 miles), there were just over 5 miles in my future. So Towdah and I headed out. I put my Contemporary Christian Pandora Station on and ran without a route. I ran down past my friend Gloria’s house and said a prayer for her and her daughter. Ran past the Assisted living and said a prayer for a church member who lives there... then thought about DC who lives in on in San Antonio and he posts about his accomplishments and setbacks with love, humor, rawness and heart... and said a prayer for them. Then I came upon Phillip’s street sign. Memories rushed back about his death in 2013. Of all the running I’ve done over the last 2 years... I’ve not done that 4/28 memorial run. I pray for peace, grace and healing for the family and friends of Phil. I promise to make that run on that day in 2021. 

I turned and ran down Kholers Crossing and prayed for the school system and that they make the best decision for our students, teachers and staff. I pray for new beginnings at Hays where healing can begin once selfish pride subsides and love leads.

Then Towdah took over my run... she turned me back down the path near our Mayor’s home... I pray for the city’s continued positive work toward healing and learning surrounding systemic racism. I pray God uses me to assist where He needs me. I then run past my friend Tom’s house where he power washed BLM on the sidewalk and I pray for Ahmaud Arbery who was killed for doing exactly what I was doing in a neighborhood similar to mine.

Then I ran past my friend Anne’s house and I rejoiced in the real conversations we have when we walk each day and I pray for her grace and servant’s heart.

It was a day of reflection. Prayer. Love. Hope. Grace. Joy. Fear. Uneasiness. Sadness. Regret. Forgiveness. Moving. Assurance. Embracing. Acceptance.

I will never forget what caused me to get to the place where I am today. I will thank God for putting the right people in front of me at the moments I needed them the most. I will move forward. I will lead with love.

Love Moves First.

No comments:

Post a Comment