Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Heroes and Villains - Wisdom from Walker

Heroes and Villains - Wisdom from Walker

By Sean Claes

The person who is the hero in your story is also the villain in somebody else’s.

Watching Walker (Season 2 Episode 8)… and something akin to that statement was said. I kept thinking about it…. And the more I thought, the deeper the meaning. 

I’ve tried to live in a “#LoveMovesFirst” mentality for the last few years. I try to seek the truth and operate on a “I know better now, so I do better” approach to life. It has made all the difference in how I, personally, have progressed.

But I’ve also been made fun of, had people I thought were friends talk trash about me behind my back (and sometimes on social media thinking I wouldn’t see…I did), had keyboard critics say horrible things about me and the like. Ive also had a few people just tell me straight out that they don’t like me. 

For those who know me… you know that behind the jokes and sarcasm, I’m a pretty emotional guy (yes, I cried a little during Barbie… but I also cry at a good coffee commercial, during almost every episode of Blue Bloods and sometimes while talking about something I saw on the news). It hurts to know someone doesn’t like me. Even after knowing I’m not responsible for their perception of me. I still carry stuff with me that happened 20-30-40 years ago. Regret and confusion that lives in my head rent free. Always will. 

I’m the villain in a few peoples story. 

Some of it was earned… but for some the reason escapes me.

I’m not ok with that. It will always bother me.

I HAVE accepted it though.

The more I think about it, the more it helps me understand others. It helps me to mentally forgive and extend grace to those who dislike me. I may not understand their reasons… but I understand they have reasons… and the reasons are real to them.

I will continue to move forward in love. 

I accept that even if I’m trying to live the best way I know how and attempting to do no harm and love my neighbor (that’s you… you are my neighbor) there will be people who see me as a villain. 

And to the people I have always perceived as villains in my timeline….. perhaps they are the hero’s in their own space and we just misunderstand each other… 

To those who view me as the villain. I wish you the best and hope you have a happy ending to your story. 

All of us are heroes. 

All of us are villains. 

Period. 

No comments:

Post a Comment